2 Dec 2008

First Audtion and a positive repsonse


The reason I came to the alps was to play music and to build relationships. The truth of the matter is that throughout active addiction I never had the ability to start, build nor retain relationships. Now things have changed.

The snow is falling hard outside and I am sitting in a steaming hot bath in my hotel room, my windows are wide open and I am writing my blog. Latter today I will read my book, learn some French, eat some dinner and learn a new track. Life does not get any better than this. The pressure is off and all I have to do is to get out there, shake hands and meet people.

Today I touched base with Alex who lives in the local village and runs a live venue. I played a cover then an original track and he told me he liked what he had heard. He also explained that he can help me with transport, get me in touch with other musicians, a booking agent and manager, plus he can help with some gigs in his bar and a contact in the local jazz bar where everything kicks off during the season.

It was a fantastic start. I left with him a copy of the Sunset Session plus the DVD Live at Buddha Beach, both a great representations of what cna be expected when they work with me. I was going to ask him about recording facilities as I would like to record A Millionaire´s Snowflake ASAP, however I thought that would be pushing things one step too far.

The question i would like to leave with you is simple. Should I be giving away my music online for free? Please let me know your thoughts.

I have stumbled across a young man called Tom Williams who is making some great music and I would suggest that you take some time out to listen as this guy is one for the future, he gives away all his music for free online and some of it is great:

Tom Williams and The Boat

30TH NOVEMBER SUNDAY EVENING

huw was just really nice about us on radio kent...ah shucks!

’concentrate’ HOTTEST RECORD IN KENT
concentrate was just played as the hottest record in kent, this evening on radio kent's bbc introducing show, listen again here;

10 comments:

CowboyHolandes said...

Hi David,
everything I read, can only lead to one conclusion:
POSITIVENESS
I'm very happy that you are enjoying the last weeks and months this much.
And as you have often said, accepting and being positive yourself, will spread it around you.
Fruits of this had already been visible in the months past, so all that is happening now, seems to be the logic consequence.
We'll be checking up on you shortly . . . LIVE. So be prepared !!!
C U soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey David.

Glad you are settling into the setting and scene of your next adventure. I look forward to hearing the fruits of your labour sometime soon! I've been listening to Starstruck recently and wondered what it would sound like if you accompanied yourself on electric guitar Jeff Buckley style- I think it could be an improvement.
Anyway, hope you are feeling inspired.

Malcolm

Unknown said...

Dear Malcolm
is this my dear friend Malcolm from SA? if it is it is great to hear from you and can I ask how you got your hands on Starstruck young man? plus are you taking the piss regarding Jeff Buckley?
take care buddy and keep in touch
David

Unknown said...

Dear Cowboy,
if you come anywhere near my place with those leather pants I will be retiring to Portugal for the season... chin up son
David

Unknown said...

Malcolm
where do we know each other... and re Jeff Buckley, the only problem with that is that I need an electric and a bracnd new amp, money, transport, insurance, pain in the arse... I would love to though. I have never really come to terms witht he electric and I should really open my eyes and heart... what do you think about giving away all of my music?
David

Anonymous said...

dear David,
your music has touched me. i live in Norway where prostitutes cost less than the sincerity you give to your music and i have listened to your music so much. where is your next music festival? perhaps we have a place to offer? in my town we have free people who would imagine your sound and be ampathy with your soul? chords are free and you remind me so much of our emblem. you break for me. i am only 639 in our league? my friends are 749+ and say you have sound? will you come to our country and mafe fan tabolos

Anonymous said...

Hi m8, I think you give already a lot away for free. Dont forget if people want to listen to your music they can also do that by going to YOUTUBE where you have also listed several song in a video (http://youtube.com/user/DavidPatrickCarter).

I think you should now concentrate more on the things around you, see what you can get out of there and then maybe think about giving stuff away. Remember, life as an artist isn´t an easy road, so by giving it away...what will you gain??.

Anyway, just my thoughts about it, its good to read that your chillin a bit (wish I could do the same) and I do hope 1 day, I get to see the place where you are based right now. Maybe its nice to add some of your "local" photos in your GALLERY on your website??
www.davidpatrickcarter.com

Ok my friend, I leave you, gonna try and get some sleep, its 04:20 am now and freaking can´t sleep. Guess I have to start dreaming about nice things and hopefully that will make me sleep.....Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the wayyyyyy...

Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous,
not sure if you are tkaing the piss or not, either way its great to hear from you. And yeah I would love to come to Norway to play, just let me know who you are so we can organise things.
Here comes the snow.
David

Unknown said...

Dear Marco
I love the developments you have made to the site and thank you for not only all your hard work but the fantastic creativity that goes into it all... I beleive that you will be buidling sites for other people very very soon, you are a star my friend
David

Anonymous said...

r.e jeff buckley????
can you reallllly be breathing the same air as he did?an you honestly compare yourself to his talent and believe in God? you honestly believe that if you bought an amp, a guitar, his guitar, his air???
you would be as good and righteous as he was?
you can't even play guitar???