15 Feb 2009

Flying back to the UK




Last night I played at Le Terminus and I had a great time. I decided to play some Beetle´s classics, along with some standard covers and the best originals. I opened up to the audience and started talking to them from the off. I was in a good place and really found a lot of energy within myself that I had been missing for some of the previous gigs. The audience was not massive however it was very responsive and I fed off the positive energy in the room. Entertainment is a very tough game as You are probably aware, and I am learning to grow a think skin and to be a real pro.

There was in fact a very attractive young woman in the bar who was surrounded by men and she was great to play too however as it turned out she really did not notice. I played the game with this young lady and I thought my cards had come in, only to be led down the garden path. And that´s ok, I do believe we call it “the game”, and I am learning to play whilst not getting overly involved with the result.

I am 18 again. I have the opportunity to start my life again and I am taking the bull by the horns this time round and maximising my time. Starstruck went down a storm as it always does, and my favourite two tracks were Days Like These and Across The Universe which is a cover from Lennon and McCartney. Sometimes I question my decision to go to France. Its good to question things. I am in the right place, I know that.

This morning I jumped on a plane and flew to East Midlands in the UK. Chris dropped me off at Geneva and I boarded the terrible Easy Jet service. When I arrived in the UK I was hit by a feeling of “thank goodness I do not live here any more”. I was picked up from the airport by Dan the lead singer from Rossmann Frister and here I am in Leeds waiting for the band to sound check. The band have been promoted by Badly Drawn Boy and are the next big hope from Sheffield. Pete (band leader and great mate) has just stated that he does not want to be mentioned in the blog, fuck that. They are worth checking out they are part of the EMO resurgence, and we are waiting at a venue called Josephs Well in Leeds. I was hoping to play tonight and two things stop me. Firstly I am totally shattered and secondly this is indie rock n roll territory..

We are going to go to my mate´s funeral tomorrow. And before that I am going to experience The Frister Project and I will let you all know what it is like. So now it is the morning after.

The Sound check blew me away. Frister have a track called Answers and its really exciting I love it. The Bass player Mark is superb and really drives the band forward when he takes control, Dan the lead singer is a true performer, Bowie-esk, and when he nails the vocal he is going to be brilliant. All round with Dave on kit and Pete producing the sound, the Frister project have got something exciting. One to watch according to Badly Drawn Boy.

The gig itself was slightly disappointing. Attendance was low although the band performed well I thought the set lacked the energy I heard in the sound check. To be fair I was very tired and I only really got into the tracks Answers and Scissors. And that´s OK.

The Funeral

The next day I went to the funeral for my friend who took his own life and although the occasion was incredibly sad it was great to see so many old faces that I had not seen some 2 years or so. Ken´s wife commented on how much happier I seemed and then it dawned on me that these guys had not seen me since recovery. The Boss, Sheff, Friel, Woody, Lovely Lesse, Jerr, Fluffy, Suzie, Jane, Ox, Cha Cha, Stu and many other names of Tigers that I just can´t recall due to tiredness. We all turned out to wish farewell to Lover Boy. Ken´s speech in particular made me remember why I love these people so much. He was not permitted to swear during his chat so he substituted using the word “adjectival” when explaining how he and lover boy used to work together putting Ikea furniture together. I laughed from my stomach. From the moment I touched down I was petered with love. I was fed, bathed, housed, cleaned and kept out of harms way.

Loverboy would have been pleased to see us all. I was just sad that he could not have been with us in body. Ken´s speech, Dan´s fine words and of course Lover Boy´s best friend rapped it up when they all described Lover Boy to be kind, generous, loving and kind of daft. The snow fell in Yorkshire, and some tears were shed that night. The boys all got drunk whilst I remembered all the years I spent with them without truly participating. How I love them now.

Now I have a second chance to tell You all, my friends that I love You more than I can ever say. Goodbye Lover Boy you were truly a gifted midfield player and a very good friend. There is a future for us all if we choose to accept our present moment. Its really simple. I do not have to strive for anything more than I have as I have it all right here right now in this very moment. Life is perfect. Life is the way it is meant to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said,
A treeat to tree thee love
Tek Care xx bob to tree thi sooin

Unknown said...

woody you are and always have been one person who is incredibly dear to my heart and I say that not to possess your friendship, I share that to share your friendship with the world.

Spanna said...

that was really lovely to read, made me want to cry, I just wish we could all get togethr more often, love thee.

friel xxx

Unknown said...

Anna I get back into London at the end of April and I will be around for at least 1 week before heading off to play in St Tropez... would love to hook up with as many of the old crowd as possible... Love Ya!