25 Sept 2008

A nght out with Will in Alhaurin, Spain

Last night I went into Alhaurin with my friend William and we ended up at Bar Zepellin with Danny and his boss Paco... I walked in with my Martin D19 and walked out with a series of gigs in the town and that is what I love about Spain, the Spanish are just so damm friendly and they love live music. When I was in the bar Danny asked if I would play some tunes which I was more than happy to do, I played Starstruck, Yellow by Coldplay and other tracks from The Sunset Session... the tunes as always went down really well with the audience and I cant wait to get started in Monday and I am looking forward to playing the series of gigs I have infront of me this weekend.

I have also had my first sale on the internet a fan purchased the entire Sunset Session album and I look forward to recieving more orders through the internet as we have worked hard to get the site up and running, however I feel that the real test will be reaching out to a wider audience.

As I don´t have my own laptop at the moment I am constantly asking my friend Hans if I can borrow his and he always so generous with his time and he is so very patient with me.

One artist that I have come across is the brilliant Frank Turner http://www.new.facebook.com/share_redirect.php?h=2417256bea1bc925f5179071c053542e&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.frank-turner.com&sid=32410785317 you should realy check out what he is doing and here is a little info:

menu If you want to get in touch with me, feel free to email me after you've read the FAQ page. Anyways, it's fair to suppose that you got to this part of the site because you wanted to know some more about me, who I am, where I came from, and why the fuck I'm visiting this music on your ears. Fair questions, one and all, so let's get started.

I was born in Muharraq, Bahrain, in late 1981... ah fuck it, let's cut to the chase. I started playing in bands aged about 12 after I got into Iron Maiden because I thought the posters were cool. When it became apparent that the music also rocked face, I got a guitar and started nerding away. My teenage years were a typically embarrassing catalogue of musical errors (I was seen to play a ska song of my own composition live on more than one occasion) but I did play in some bands that some other people cared about. First there was a school-based hardcore / emo outfit called Kneejerk, which came to an unceremonious end in around 2000.

After that I got involved in a punk band called Million Dead. We were around for four years, from 2001-2005, and in that time we released 2 albums to 'critical acclaim' and 'underground success' (i.e. we weren't exactly U2). Nevertheless, we made a lot of friends and played a lot of shows, wrote a lot of songs and learnt an awful lot about playing music and making a living out of it. In the end we decided it would be best to part ways before we fell out and while we still had a chance of being a wicked underground band that no one liked at the time a decade hence (see: Slint).

Whilst in Million Dead, I'd started to do some shows on my own - sometimes out of necessity, say for a radio session - and started rediscovering a lot of the music I grew up with, like the Counting Crows, Johnny Cash, Weezer and so on, as well as getting more and more into my country and folk. I started out with folky versions of MD songs and graduated to my own compositions (often bits and pieces that were a little too light for the band). When the 'Deadz came to an end, it seemed like the logical thing to do to try my hand at playing these songs more publicly and more concertedly than before. I also didn't want to stop touring, so I kept going.

Thus the 'neverending tour of everywhere' started in October 2005, and hasn't really stopped since. I've shared stages with everyone from Getcape via Gabby Young to The Automatic, clocking up nearly 200 shows thusfar, much of it done travelling on the train and sleeping on the floor. Release wise, I kicked off with a split with my good friends Reuben, moved through to a CDEP ("Campfire Punkrock") in May, released through my old muckers Xtra Mile Recordings, and even found time for a split with legendary US singer Jonah Matranga.

The next chapter began on January 15th 2007, when my debut album was released in the UK. Entitled "Sleep Is For The Week", it features 13 tracks of pure sex and has been favourably received by everyone from Drownedinsound to The Sun (which covers pretty much the entire world population). A full UK tour with backing band (comprising members of Oxford's Dive Dive) was followed by a first jaunt over to the States for SXSW and a tour with the legendary Jonah Matrangah. "The Real Damage" EP followed in early may, and the summer is all about festivals. See you there.

No comments: