27 Mar 2009

My Children and their mother, skiing in France, the joys of recovery






My kids came out to see me in France with their mum and her boyfriend. We had a magical time together and I taught the kids how to ski. It has been a long time since we last spent any time together as a family and although there were points which were incredibly painful most of the experience was brilliant. Both myself and the children´s mother stood at the top of the nursery slope really proud as my daughter managed to get the better of the skiing and made her way down on her own.

We did not venture far only using the mini Bettex pass until the last day, however I loved spending time with my son, both of us on skis and both of us sliding down the mountain together, the experience made me want to be more of a father figure to both my children and to stop in Andalucia for longer periods of time. Right now there is very limited work in that area of Spain, its just not great.

The healing continues within myself and between myself and my children´s mother. Its great! None of this would be possible without recovery. And every day that I continue to be in recovery I feel as if I step away from my old way of thinking. Life itself can be very tricky as the majority of people live life which is in juxtaposition to the core values of recovery. This means I am easily drawn into old behaviours, and by concentrating on the tools in recovery I can always pull myself closer to my truth once again.

I am coming up to 23 months in recovery from drugs and alcohol. The journey has been long and winding, it has also flown past in a flash. I have my children back in my life and their mother is learning to trust me again. I have made mistakes along the way and by making mistakes I can guarantee that I am learning and growing, becoming a better man.

Thanks to my higher power that I am still in recovery. It is a miracle that I have got this far. And I am blessed to be here and not 6ft in the ground. May life continue to teach me many valuable lessons.


Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave its great to see that you are doing so well... we knew each other in SA and I know how important your children and your music is to You. Remember my friend miracles happen in recovery.

Anonymous said...

this is a great blog keep it up lots of people get a lot out of the blog and a lot out of the music thanks